In this unprecedented season, our mission and call to live generously have never been stronger.
The effects of the coronavirus continue to dominate the news cycle. Businesses and schools are shutting down for the foreseeable future, and many are choosing to practice social distancing to help limit the spread of the virus.
This is not just a “season.” We are in the midst of a battle. As believers, this is not the time to shrink back. No, it is a call to arms, a beckoning to join the fight. Our response should be ground shaking, revolutionary generosity in times of uncertainty. We often talk about fighting on the front lines, and while it seems like the enemy is using this time to create distance between us, now is our chance to come together, step up and serve those who are hurting.
Times like these are exactly what The Signatry community was made for. As events continue to unfold, let us take charge as a community and be a beacon of hope to those around us. Here are some ways you can answer the call and meet the growing number of needs in your community:
Feed children and families in need.
Nearly every school across the nation has shut down. Find ways to serve those who rely on their school’s services for daily meals and childcare.
- Make a meal for a family whose children are studying at home.
- Partner with a local organization to combat child hunger.
- Surprise a family with groceries.
Care for older generations.
The older generations are most at risk for the complications that accompany the coronavirus. Help ensure the elders in your community are taken care of and well informed.
- Run errands for those who cannot leave their home.
- Stay connected with elderly relatives, via phone, FaceTime, or social media.
- Encourage older adults to stay active while isolated.
Replenish food banks.
As news of the coronavirus develops, food banks continue to see supplies and volunteers diminish. Help food banks continue to serve those in need during this time.
- Donate food items that food banks may be running low on.
- Support food banks financially, in lieu of donating food.
- Volunteer to package meals at your local food bank if it is safe.
Serve medical personnel and first responders.
Medical personnel and first responders are working diligently to serve our communities. Look for ways to provide relief for these heroes.
- Cook a meal for those who are working overtime.
- Offer to help with childcare for our busy first responders, if appropriate.
- Alleviate their stress by simply lending a listening ear.
Support local businesses and hourly wage earners.
Many businesses are shutting their doors to help eliminate the spread of the virus. During this time, support the local businesses and hourly workers who help drive our economy.
- Buy gift cards from local businesses to use later.
- Shop online, or order take out from local businesses and restaurants.
- Tip hourly workers generously.
This is the time for The Signatry community to shine a light into the darkness. Through radical generosity, we hold the power to ignite the hope of Christ in lives across the world. Now is the time when we should come together as a band of believers and serve our communities with Christ-like generosity.
You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
We want to hear from you.
Tell us some of the stories of creative ways people are giving during this season and help inspire others to do the same. Share your stories here.
Start your journey towards a lasting legacy
Bring your family together around shared values and goals for generosity through a donor advised fund.Start a Fund