I’m often asked about the subject of Family Legacy. Some questions are resulting from the book I recently wrote with David Green, Giving it All Away and Getting it all Back Again: The Way of Living Generously.
Family legacy is much more than preparing a set of estate documents that transfer assets to children and grandchildren. Family legacy is about the stories and values that we leave for generations to come.
Genesis 17.7 says, “And I will establish my covenant between me and you and your offspring after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your offspring after you.” The promise to Abraham is for generations. And that’s what God desires for families: generations of impact.
As you think about your own family legacy, here are 5 books (in addition to Giving it All Away) that can add to your thinking:
- Family Wealth: Keeping it In the Family by James Hughes.
- unHeritage: 11 Pitfalls to Family Legacy and How to Avoid Them.
- Wealth in Families by Charles Collier.
- Splitting Heirs: Giving Your Money and Things to Children without Ruining their Lives by Ron Blue.
- Preparing Heirs: Five Steps to a Successful Transition of Family Wealth and Values by Williams & Preisser.
If you have a favorite of your own, please send it to me. You can order any of the books above at www.billhigh.com.